This website was created to share with the viewer some of Long Island’s historic venues and events. The content on this site was listed as accurate as possible and this site shall not be responsible for any inaccurate information. Please contact the webmaster at: email@example.com for more information.
Smith-Longwood Estate, Ridge
Plan Your Trip
Suffolk County - Brookhaven - Ridge
The estate consists of the main house built in the 18th century and enlarged during the 19th century, caretaker’s cottage and barns and sheds dating back to the 18th - 20th centuries and the Smith family cemetery. A one-room schollhouse was moved onto the property. Smith Longwood Estate is listed on the National Register of historic places.
The house is open Monday through Fridays,
7:00 am - 3:00 pm. Call 631-924-1820 for available showing. Group by appointment.
The parcel of land had been purchased by William Tangier Smith in the 1600s. It was part of the Manor St. George. By 1817 William Syndey Smith became the proprietor. At the time the approximately 7,000 acre property ran from the Connecticut River east of Manorville and south along South Country Road. Upon deaths of both William Tangier (1879) and Helen Tangier Smith (1884) it was willed to Elbert Clayton Smith. Clayton Smith donated 51 acres to the Longwood School District and the Greenbelt land to Suffolk County. The Smith family lived and owned the estate until 1968, when it was sold to real estate developers and the contents of the house were autioned off. In 1973 Wilbur Breslin, developer, purchased the house and the 35 acres. Upon the insistence from the community, Breslin donated the estate to the Town of Brookhaven.
Corner of Ridge Road and Longwood Road